Feb 15, 2009

PREFACE 1

The name, practice, and theories pertaining to my earlier books on
foot massage are outdated. The people of Taiwan were accustomed to
referring to the treatment as foot massage, so we continued to use
that term for foot reflexology. Now, that the new concepts, theories
and discoveries have been enhanced, we wish to distinguish the
progress that has evolved by the more fitting name: foot reflexology.
Father Josef's New Foot Reflexology celebrates a fresh beginning of my
work.
In 1979 I became friends with Mr. Eugene Ying-Chi Cheng, an expert in
Chinese medicine. We engaged in frequent exchanges of opinion from
which we both profited. Out of this ongoing experience we began to
expand and develop our current foot reflexology practices. Cheng's
gentle, precision techniques, his self-created reflex stick—a handy
tool that has found increasing popularity since its introduction—and
the Yin-Yang and the Five Elements premise he adapted from Chinese
medical philosophy helped me supplement my own theories and practice.
I am truly grateful to Cheng for our collaboration and all he has
contributed to Father Josef's New Foot Reflexology.
When I began using reflexology on others, I soon found reflex zones
throughout areas on the leg, below the knee, in addition to the rather
limited known number of reflex areas on the foot. Over the years Mr.
Cheng and I also discovered many new reflex areas and rectified a
number of incorrect ones mentioned in scores of foot reflexology books
on the market. These reflex areas are included in this new edition.
The therapy still remains easy to learn, easy to remember, and we can
become easily accessible to all. For these reasons, from now on please
replace any old books with this newly expanded version.
When my giving treatment on the feet first became widely known, I once
had almost three hundred people knocking on the door seeking for help;
many of them were seriously ill and had traveled long distances to see
me. I became so swamped with clients that at times I only had one or
two hours of sleep a night. Despite my exhaustion, as a member of the
clergy, I considered it a blessing from God to serve people and
relieve them of their pain.
I have given foot reflexology treatments to many and do not find
working on people's feet repulsive or a degrading deed. The sense of
security and faith they place in me, when they entrust their feet to
me, is profound. I am amazed at their endurance level of pain. I can
always detect improvement in their conditions when they come back for
follow-up treatments. Foot reflexology has been proven to work in
harmony with substantiated medical theories; it is highly effective
and can be extensively and easily applied in order to maintain one's
physical well-being. Helping people with reflexology is the best way
to sing praises to the Lord.
Dr. Cheng and I are working to promote the 'One Reflexologist per
Household' program. With this home program everyone can save money on
medical expenses. If our wish that one member from every household
learns the art of this easy-to-apply home remedy is granted, the
blessing of good health will extend to more people as they find
themselves free from pain and suffering. We hope with the publishing
of this new book more people will be helped to better health.
In the Gospel of Mark in the Scriptures, it says: "Go into all the
world and preach the good news to all creation." Similarly I am
duty-bound to spread reflexology. It is a mission, and this mission
shall serve for me as an auxiliary to spreading the gospel, to show
God's glory and grace. In the name of the Lord, Mr. Cheng and I pray
for the blessing of health to all mankind.
I, Father Josef Eugster, endorse this book to be the only authentic
Foot Reflexology publication in my name that encompasses my more than
twenty-three years of clinical reflexology experiences in Taiwan.


Father Josef Eugster

No comments:

Post a Comment